Monday, January 3, 2011

The End of Days

November 4th, 2010 would be the last normal day I could remember. I had a job I loved a juvenile probation officer working with kids who were in trouble with the law. The last week was one in which I had met eight within two days, as was typical some of these clients very intriguing and others very predictable. I’d gone to lunch with a friend and later that day attended my running group. I was two weeks into my third marathon training and for the first time ever in over a year of attending this group, I had come in first at the workout (all the fast guys had somehow missed). My family and I had a great dinner, I checked my email, facebook (I’d been for a few days trimming my friends down to 888 with my obsession with the number 8), balanced my checkbook. Then I went to bed with my plans for that weekend, a couple of parties, some running etc.

November 5th I went to work and went to lunch with some coworkers to celebrate one of their birthdays. Shortly after getting the menus, I had this sensation where I couldn’t hear anything or say anything or read the menu. Apparently shortly after that, I leaned over on my coworker Kirstin’s shoulder. Thinking I was messing with her, she pushed me away and said get off me. That disorientation is the last thing I remember before I woke up and then there was an EMT lady standing over me. She said we were having this conversation for the 5th or 6th time. Despite her insistence that I needed to go to the hospital, I told her I was now feeling fine whereupon she threatened to call the police on me for trying to drive after a seizure. I patted her hand and told her to relax that she was being too uptight and she asked if I was hitting on her (yep, even after a seizure I still had it). I continued to resist till another of my coworkers finally picked me up and put me on the stretcher. As they put me into the ambulance, I raised my arm and wished Creschenda a Happy Birthday. She awkwardly smiled and said it was definitely one she’d never forget.

Apparently everyone had been trying to get a hold of my wife  (she’d been in a meeting). At the ER, my boss Tori and a coworker Cindy were there waiting with me. They looked a lot more panicked than I felt. I had never called in sick in 16+ years of working, I felt fine and the last time I had been in the hospital for myself was when I was born so it’s fair to say I wasn’t the least concerned that anything serious was coming up. In fact while waiting for all the stuff that the ER apparently has to do, I updated my facebook status: “I had a seizure. I’m not quite sure why everyone is making it that big of a deal.” A few moments later, my wife got out of the meeting. Her phone is set up to where my facebook status showed up on top of the voicemails. She called to reprimand me about the fact that she was learning about my seizure from facebook and that she was headed down to the hospital. I sincerely and nonchalantly told her not to be in a hurry, to make sure that Kiana’s daycare stuff would be taken care of that I’m sure it wasn’t going to be a very significant thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment