Tuesday, April 24, 2012

First Steps

The first time I ever kissed a girl I was 14 or 15 and let’s say that while she was my first, I wasn’t her first. She looked up at me and said, “You don’t do this very often do you?” And to my credit/discredit, my reaction was “Well, you can teach me.” And she did. We’ll get back to that.

I have started the cycling training for the 100 mile bike ride and biked more in 3 days than in my heaviest running week ever. It’s a different game but I’ve been just following what Chris Brewer from Livestrong has been telling me to do which interestingly enough he’s made it more about timetime in the saddle than miles covered. I’ve made some rookie mistakes like calling it biking instead of cycling. I also didn’t realize the time and because of being in a hurry had to wear the gear to pick up Kiana and go to Costco after… less socially accepted than running gear.Another cancer survivor volunteered to show me how to fix a flat tire quickly with very few tools and showed me all types of things about bicycles that I never knew I never knew. It is interesting as I put on the gear that where it’s padded (what’s the political correct way to say crotch) as I take these first steps, it feels like wearing a diaper. On this entire cycling adventure, I am just going to do like kissing that first girl and just take direction from someone with more experience. I can’t imagine it will be as fun but I'm still excited about it. I am amused that people have encouraged me to shave my legs and get a pedicure for these things. As I get more athletic, I am encouraged to become more metro. I am not sure I have enough security to do either. On the plus side, I’ve not fallen yet despite those clip in shoes that I know nothing about.

But I’ve also got an MRI on Thursday once again doing it at 9:00 PM so I won’t have to miss work or miss free time when Kiana’s awake, trying simultaneously to save sick hours for if they are ever necessary and not miss time with her. And then I have some follow up with the neurologist. The bloodwork from my collapsing the insurance denied and of course, the neuropsychological rehab ended up getting denied again but they said I was welcome, like other things they’ve let me do, to pay for it out of pocket . Tonight I did the marathon's trash run where I was asked to lead people on picking up trash on the course. On Wednesday, I am going to Livestrong’s fancer and cancer class and seeing if I can pick up any tips but it seems that like some other things I appealed, this is going to be hitting a wall. And on Friday, I sit in a photoshoot where I’ve been asked to get a haircut to highlight the scar and bring the race bibs. My life is strange. I don’t know if I’ll ever end up with anyone again but if I do, it has to be someone who gets the Lyrics from David Cook’s life on the moon ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9d52h5gXl0 ). I am not sure such a girl exists but if she does I’m happy to let her teach me how to kiss her

Despite all that, I guess I'll take life. At the end of the week, Kiana’s school has her biannual workday and I’ll be there and I've still been luck enough not to miss any. Her and I have the Wonders and Worries ball Saturday night. And I always say that it’s against my religion to have bad days and that I rarely sin. But just because most days are good doesn’t mean that they are all great. I love dancing always but this first is one that the that princess and I are very excited about it. Even got her a new dress for it. That day is going to be one of the great ones and I imagine it will mean far more than the first marathon or that first kiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment